- Put the sweet potato in a large, deep saucepan over a high heat. Cover with boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put all the paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until very finely chopped. Set aside until needed.
2. Put the spinach in a large colander in the sink and pour the sweet potatoes and their cooking water over it to drain the potatoes and wilt the spinach at the same time. Leave to steam-dry.
- Return the saucepan to the heat (no need to wash it first), then add the oil, followed by the spice paste. Fry the paste for about 5 minutes until thickened, then add the chicken. Fry for 8-10 minutes until the chicken starts to colour. Pour over the stock; bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check the if the chicken is cooked by cutting into one of the thighs and making sure it’s white throughout with no signs of pink. Season with black pepper, and then add the sweet potato. Leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Meanwhile, roughly chop the spinach and add to the stew. At this point, you can leave the stew to cool and freeze for up to 3 months, if you like.
- It is better served with a glass of chill juice or an alcohol-free wine.